Another 3 weeks of lockdown eh’ – it’s totally the right decision and although we’d love to be heading off to our local Nando’s for the usual order that you don’t need to think twice about or even look at the menu, we’ll just have to put in that extra effort to make it at home.
If you’ve followed our Fakeaway series until now, you’ll know that we’ve been recreating our favourite takeaway meals at home. With Five Guys burger and fries to begin with, followed by pizza and fish and chips, this was our personal fave out of the lot so far.
Lucky for us all, Nando’s sauce is easy to come by at supermarkets these days so minimum effort required there. The spicy rice is straightforward but it would be a shame not to go all out in Nando’s style and add onion, pepper, peas and spices.
Peri Peri Chicken with Spicy Rice
Peri Peri Chicken
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 large onion diced finely
- 4 tbsp nando’s medium sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small red pepper diced
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 100 g long grain rice
- 200 ml chicken stock
- 30 g frozen peas
Peri Peri Chicken
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Meanwhile, cover chicken in half the peri peri sauce.
- Top with diced onions and add remaining sauce
- Pop in the oven and cook for 35 mins. Once tender and cooked, add to the grill for the extra chicken crisp and Nando’s look for 5 mins each side.
- Meanwhile, place the diced onion and red pepper in a reasonably large saucepan. Cover with a lid and cook over a gentle heat for 3 minutes until softened but not browned.
- Remove the lid and add the chilli flakes, turmeric and smoked paprika. Cook for 2 more minutes. Add a splash of water if it starts to get a little dry.
- Add the rice, chicken stock, salt and pepper. Turn the heat up and bring to the boil. Then cover with a lid and turn the heat down. Cook for 7 minutes, or until the rice is nearly cooked.
- After 7 minutes add the peas and stir. Re-cover with the lid and cook for 3 more minutes or until the rice is done to your liking and the peas are hot.
- Serve with your peri peri chicken and corn on the cob (your other Nando’s favourites)
Check out the recipe below and tag us on Instagram if you give it a go yourself!
What’s your go to Nando’s order? And even more importantly, what spice level?