We couldn’t end recreating our favourite takeaways at home without attempting the Big Mac, complete with Big Mac sauce and everything else in between. Unlike McDonald’s, we tried to make our burgers as close as possible to what they look like in the photos and adverts, and even if we say so ourselves, we did a pretty good job.
In all honesty, it’s pretty simple and one of the quickest meals to make from the series. The sauce surprisingly has a fairly long list of ingredients but it’s just a matter of whipping it all up into one mixture and dolloping it on top. You can’t go wrong and it tastes so good!
We’re not going to lie, McDonald’s fries were originally meant to be part of the plan, but the timing was all wrong and we got too hungry to wait and risk the burger going cold.
McDonald's Big Mac
- 400 g beef mince
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 burger buns
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- 1/4 iceberg lettuce finely shredded
- 4 sliced cheese
- 2 gherkins sliced
Big Mac Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbs gherkin relish
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- For the Big Mac sauce, combine all the ingredients in a bowl, season with salt and chill until ready to use.
- To make the burger patties, season the mince with salt and pepper and form into 4 balls. Place each onto a square of baking paper and flatten to form into four circles. Heat oil in a large frypan over high heat.
- In 2 batches, cook beef patties for 1-2 minutes each side until lightly charred and cooked through. Remove from heat and keep warm. Repeat with remaining two patties.
- Carefully slice each burger bun into three across-ways, then lightly toast or simply use an extra part of another bun set for the middle section.
- To assemble the burgers, spread a little Big Mac sauce over the bottom base. Top with some chopped onion, shredded lettuce, slice of cheese, beef patty and some pickle slices. Top with the middle bun layer, and spread with more Big Mac sauce, onion, lettuce, pickles, beef patty and then finish with more sauce. Top with burger lid to serve.
- Add fries if you desire! Enjoy!
Thank you so much for making it all the way to the end of our Fakeaway series! We hope we’ve inspired you to spend more time in the kitchen during this period, and shown that we don’t have to rely on restaurants and fast food branches to fulfil our cravings.
Let us know down in the comments which one was your favourite and if you’ve attempted any of these too.
We’ll be back next week with the start of a new series – simple 3 ingredient recipes.