Continuing on with our Fakeaway series, we’re here this week to bring you a fan favourite of pizza, dough balls and garlic dip. It was our first time ever making pizza together, and of course the competition was on to see who’s turned out the best. Amazingly, James’s did as just the slightest slip up in quantities can tarnish every other move. What must’ve been a splash of water too many for Jessica made it hard to crisp and take forever to cook in the oven.
Deep Pan Pepperoni Pizza
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups plain flour
- 220 g ground beef
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 can tomato sauce / purée
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 medium green pepper diced
- 2 balls mozzarella cheese shredded
- In large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add oil and salt. Stir in flour, a cup at a time, until a soft dough forms.
- Turn onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 2-3 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, cook beef and onion over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
- Punch down dough; divide in half. Press each into a greased 12-in. pizza pan. Combine the tomato sauce, oregano and basil; spread over each crust. Top with beef mixture, green pepper and cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
Preparing the dough and leaving it for a minimum of 90 minutes makes it a time consuming effort but such an enjoyable evening! Washed down with a bottle of Peroni and tequila sunrise sealed the deal and we’re determined to perfect that dough next time.
If you’re wondering why we’re mixing Domino’s with Pizza Express here, there’s no science to it. We’re just trying to recreate our all time favourites and these two are high up on the list!
Let us know what you’re top takeaways are down below in the comments, and remember to give us a follow on Instagram to get a sneak preview of more fakeaway posts very soon.
Pizza Express Dough Balls
- 150 ml warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 15 g fresh yeast
- 225 g plain flour
- 1.5 tsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp butter
- 0.5 tsp garlic chopped
- First up add one teaspoon of sugar and crumble 15g of fresh yeast (or 2 level teaspoons of dry yeast) into 150ml of warm water.
- Allow the mixture to stand for 10-15 minutes in a warm place until froth develops on the surface. The Pizza Express legends recommend the window sill, which is perfect right now.
- Once that's done, sift 225g of plain flour and 1.5 teaspoons of salt into a mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the middle and pour in the yeast mixture - the one you had sitting by the window.
- Then lightly flour hands and slowly mix it all together until they bind.
- Generously dust a clean surface with flour and throw down the dough - begin kneading for ten mins 'til smooth, silky and soft.
- Leave the dough to rest until it's soft to the touch but not too springy.
- Roll the dough into one long 1.2m tube and chop into 16 chunks and place in an ovenproof pan.
- Leave the Dough Balls to rest in pan for 30 mins then bake in the oven at 230 degrees for six minutes or until golden.
- And to finish, blend 10ml of olive oil and chopped garlic into a paste and our over butter and blend with a spoon.