Introduction: How We Manage To Travel So Much

With everything that we’ve been so fortunate to do and places we’ve been in the almost 5 years together, there’s always one question that keeps getting asked. It’s not where should I eat in X or visit in Y, it’s quite simply… “how do you afford it?”

It always takes us by surprise as there’s no secrets or magic tricks involved and we definitely don’t have the biggest incomes in the world. However, we do try and be smart with how we spend our time and money.

We thought we’d lay it all out in a series of posts, giving you the lowdown of how we’ve managed to visit 26 countries together and continue to travel with full time work and the costs of living in London.

First of all for those who don’t know already, a very quick introduction to the boring stuff… we’re 23 and 25, living in shared accommodation in West London. Jessica works as an Event Manager and I as a Client Success Manager, but it was only a year ago that I was still a student in Sheffield – even then, we found ways of doing what we wanted to in regards to travel.

You can read more about our flat move here, but it’s ultimately a shared house with 7, yes 7, others in W12 – zone 2 on the tube map. Whilst we’d love to have our own apartment, bigger wardrobes and a dishwasher, it’s currently the only way of making living affordable without having to live on the outskirts and still having disposable income and enough to be able to save each month.

To save you need to budget and sacrifice, which I suppose means something different to everyone. To me it usually means slow and cheap trains up to Chester, only buying from Itsu when it’s 50% off in the half hour before closing and categorically no Uber’s. It means planning how I’ll spend my Oyster card money at the start of each month, having just 2GB’s of mobile data and seeking out the cheapest gyms to go to.

I don’t want to see anything on my bank statement which I regret. It’s as simple as that really!

As I said, we’ll be making this a series so all of the above and much more will be covered in the next few weeks. If you have any questions then ask away in the comments! The next post will be about planning and researching holiday and travel destinations.

1. August 1, 2019 / 5:11 pm

This was a super helpful post for someone like me who needs to start thinking about budgeting!! I’d love to go travelling and I feel like if there’s any time to do it, it’s now – Especially whilst I’m still young. Great post x

2. August 1, 2019 / 5:14 pm

Loved this post guys! Sometimes you have to sacrifice certain things in order to travel more and for me it’s definitely worth it, I also don’t take Ubers at all to save money and try not to overspend on other random things, nothing worse than seeing it all on your bank statement haha. Thanks for sharing guys and happy travels x

3. August 1, 2019 / 5:15 pm

We have to share the house as well, otherwise, we could not afford to live in London. Sometimes it`s annoying, but at least it saves us money in the long term.

4. August 1, 2019 / 5:22 pm

I love to travel and while I don’t do nearly as much travel as you both do, I have also been asked similar questions in regards to going places, eating out, etc. It really comes down to budgeting and saving when you can. Once you can manage your finances and find a good saving plan, it’s not that difficult!

Casey | mccourtskee.com

5. August 1, 2019 / 5:28 pm

You guys do travel a lot but that’s amazing! I think traveling in Europe is rather affordable, since all the countries are so close to each other and flying is not that expensive. Saving on little things definitely help a lot!

6. August 1, 2019 / 5:45 pm

I do always wonder how Travel bloggers are able to afford it and it’s good to know that it there isn’t too many secrets to it! It’s great your able to go the places you want to! X

7. August 1, 2019 / 6:16 pm

What’s Itsu?
    I wish that there was more shared housing around where I am but it seems to be a city or student phenomenon 🙁
    My Dad always converts (converted? – not sure if they stopped) his Tesco clubcard points into red spotted hanky credits for train tickets. I find it a little irritating that there isn’t a partner that provides something I’d use to get more out of my points, but I love to little money off my shopping boost from them.

I’m really looking forward to this series from you 🙂

8. August 1, 2019 / 8:00 pm

Really looking forward to seeing more posts in this series! I don’t travel much – if at all really. Only a couple of small UK holidays a year. Although I’d love to travel more. And budgeting is so important. I love what you said about not wanting anything on your bank statement that you regret. I need to remember that next time I order 3 takeaways in a week haha!

9. August 1, 2019 / 10:48 pm

I think people ask hoping you know of some little known websites with great deals or want you to say book your tickets at this exact time to get the best price or something like that. I love your attitude towards spending though. It’s nice to look at your statement and not regret anything x

Sophie

10. August 3, 2019 / 7:52 am

Such a great post, it is really lovely to see how people can travel and experience the world and not have won the lottery! It really does come down to budgeting and prioritising which I am still struggling at!