We still get the same old question from time to time… “oh your blog’s called Food & Baker, what’ve you baked recently?”, and the same resounding answer of “nothing” surprises every time. So, we thought we’d give the people what they want (or maybe just expect) and create these cookie and marshmallow based bites (recipe below). With the chance to work with artisan popcorn maker, Popcorn Shed, we had the perfect opportunity to create something special, aesthetically and in taste.
Popcorn Shed is run by Laura and Sam, cousins who still run this home grown, family based British brand which breaks the mould of the typical popcorn brand you’d see on supermarket shelves.
All of their variants are gluten free, vegetarian with ingredients of the finest, natural quality and follow a made to order cooking process – it comes from Laura and Sam’s garden shed and definitely doesn’t come from a mass produced factory!
Across our square bites we sprinkled on 3 of their 7 flavours – Salted Caramel, Butterly Nuts and Pecan Pie (most were devoured before it had barely seen the light of day from the package that arrived on our doorstep). At 120ish calories per packet, we also avoided the guilt trip of enjoying such delicious treats, although yes, perhaps that was compensated by the cookies and marshmallows.
These treats were perfect for sharing with our housemates and with a couple of packets left over, we cannot wait to finish them off in front of the TV screen tonight.
Give it a go with the recipe below!
Cookie, Marshmallow & Popcorn Squares
- 125 g butter softened
- 100 g light brown soft sugar
- 125 g caster sugar
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 225 g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 200 g chocolate chips
- 150 g marshmallows
- 100 g salted caramel with milk Chocolate & toffee gourmet popcorn
- 100 g chocolate and caramel covered gourmet popcorn
- 100 g peanut butter and caramel covered gourmet popcorn with peanuts
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cream butter and sugars, once creamed, combine in the egg and vanilla.
- Sift in the flour and salt, then the chocolate chips, and combine.
- Spread cookie dough mix on a rectangular baking tray with baking paper, cook for 12 minutes until just golden round the edges.
- Take out of the oven. Sprinkle marshmallows over crust. Bake 3 minutes longer or until marshmallows are puffed but not browned.
- Press popcorn flavours over marshmallows in even layer using back of spoon.
- Cool on cooling rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until set. Cut into 3 rows by 3 rows.