Miami: Where To Eat Breakfast

FOOD & BAKER IS BACK and 2019 is off to a flyer… literally. Since the news came in the summer that my, James’ work would be flying the entire company to Florida for a few days, the countdown has well and truly been on. Of course, I couldn’t come all this way without booking the entire week after off so that Jessica could join the bonanza… and here we are. breakfast

Now back in London and attempting to compile our thoughts and experiences all into our best content yet for our new-look blog, we can undoubtedly say it lived up to be the destination of dreams and one we’d return to in a heartbeat.

We know that we won’t though, so we made our best effort to plan this holiday as thoroughly as possible, visiting and eating in the very best places every single day.

Standby for sun, sea, sand and most importantly, American food galore. Our first post is all about finding the best spots for the most important meal of the day, across the various neighbourhoods in Miami and Miami Beach. In no particular order, here is what we ate for breakfast….

healthy eating at Dirt Eat Clean in Miami breakfast

DIRT
1834 Bay Rd, Miami Beach, FL 33139, USA

We were up bright and early (thanks to jet lag) for our first breakfast find of the trip. After watching the sunrise across South Beach, we made the stroll to Dirt and arrived before it had even opened. The clock struck 8am, an order of Maple Hazelnut Latte and Bulletproof coffee was placed and the Miami food adventures had begun.

Those coffees perfectly demonstrate how Dirt doesn’t conform to safe options. They strive to be different whilst consistently delivering high quality, nutritious food in a sustainable and spatially aware environment. All ingredients are sourced from safe, quality and local sources, the knowledge of which was impeccably articulated by the staff who clearly and genuinely care for the food that is given to you.

With everything from Matcha Protein Pancakes and Ricotta + Apricot toasts on the menu, we both took the famous ‘Clean Bowl’ with added feta. It fabulously encapsulated everything that Dirt stands for – innovative, delicious and healthy. It fuelled us for a full day of exploration and set the precipice at an unbelievably high level. Luckily, the following days also proved that our research paid off and were equally memorable.

avocado and egg sourdough at Zak the Baker in Miami breakfast

Zak the Baker
295 NW 26th St, Miami, FL 33127, USA

Now across the water and away from Miami Beach, day two brought us to Wynwood, a neighbourhood that shames Shoreditch for its glorious street art, hipster boutiques and indie coffee shops. It’s a colourful area but Zak the Baker is still hard to miss – its rainbow coloured striped exterior swept us in for some heavenly cinnamon buns and avocado and egg sourdough.

Zak Stern, the brains behind the option, upholds Jewish dietary regulations and traditions with Kosher foods at Zak the Baker. Shabbat, the Jewish day of Prayer means that it is closed on Saturdays and although we didn’t see it ourselves, we’ve heard stories of impressive queues on Friday afternoons whilst the faithful stock up on the famous sourdough to get them through the day of rest.

We were struck with that incredible fresh bread scent as soon as we entered, with not only being able to smell but also see it being made from scratch behind the counter. Despite the sheer volume (Whole Foods Market plus a number of other restaurants source their bread from here), quality is never compromised and every loaf is handmade – some by Zak himself. The breakfasts were delectable, hearty and of substantial size but we couldn’t leave without a cinnamon bun for the road. We say the road… they were gone by the next street corner.

healthy eating at Lilikoi Organic Living in Miami breakfast

Lilikoi Organic Living
500 South Pointe Dr #180, Miami Beach, FL 33139, USA

Much like Dirt, everything at South Beach’s Lilikoi is organically and locally sourced. Although it comes at a pretty penny, each dish is full of nutrition and void of unnecessary sugar and anything unnatural. Whilst the smoked salmon bagel provided sophisticated simplicity, the açai bowl with banana, granola, fruit and honey gave us something new to try and perhaps out of all the breakfast dishes we had throughout the holiday, filled us with the satisfaction of starting our day under a healthy lifestyle.

Waking up and kicking off each day with outstandingly delicious and healthy food is something we loved doing. If we weren’t so tired from action packed days, it may have even kept us awake thinking about what was coming the next morning! The lunches and dinners never faulted either, so do check back over the next few week for more Miami themed content from us.

Finally, thank you for coming back! We know it’s been a long while since we’ve taken blogging seriously but we’re determined to make 2019 a big one for Food & Baker. If you’re new here, welcome, and we can’t wait to make you hungry and give a sprinkle of wanderlust again soon.

healthy eating açai bowl at Lilikoi Organic Living in Miami breakfast

breakfast breakfast breakfast breakfast breakfast breakfast breakfast

1. February 7, 2019 / 5:11 pm

This post is making me so so hungry! Everything looks so delicious! I am moving to NYC in the spring but if I travel to Miami, I will for sure visit one of those places!

February 21, 2019 / 9:31 pm

Oh amazing! Miami is defo worth a visit – we hope to visit NYC this year!

2. Jenny in Neverland
    February 7, 2019 / 5:11 pm

Breakfast is probably my favourite meal of the day and I love going away somewhere and having something a little different. All of this looks AMAZING – especially those bowls in the first photo! <3

Jenny

February 21, 2019 / 9:31 pm

Weirdly enough, we don’t have brekkie when we’re back home but it feels needed when we’re away! Think it’s the early starts!

3. February 7, 2019 / 5:12 pm

These are such excellent photos – they’re making me so hungry! I hope the food adventures continue to be great.

February 21, 2019 / 9:33 pm

Thank you – oh the food adventures continued to be amazing for sure!

4. February 7, 2019 / 5:42 pm

YAAAAAAY YOU’RE BACK!!!!
    I’m glad you had such an amazing trip. The maple hazelnut latte sounds incredible, and all this food looks amazing, you take such gorgeous food photos!!
    Hels xx

February 21, 2019 / 9:34 pm

Yayyyy we are back and sooo happy!

It was the best trip, great way yo start the new year!

5. February 7, 2019 / 5:42 pm

Wow, so much delicious food in one post!! Miami sounds like an awesome destination, with so many great places to eat! 🙂 I always love going out for breakfast at the weekend, I would totally have the avocado and egg sourdough – that looks amazing!! Thanks so much for sharing and can’t wait to read more about your American foodie adventures! <3 xx

Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

February 21, 2019 / 9:35 pm

I do think breakfast was our fave of all meals on our holiday but still all amazing places!

February 21, 2019 / 9:36 pm

Thank you! The salmon bagel was defo a winner!
      The capers gave it that extra flavour!

6. February 7, 2019 / 6:15 pm

This post is making me hungry oh my gosh!! I’m also such a sucker for a good breakfast haha. I’d also loooove to go to Miami someday it looks amazing! xx

Em // https://www.emilybecca.com

February 21, 2019 / 9:37 pm

Miami is worth the visit and such a great breakfast places for sure!

7. February 7, 2019 / 6:43 pm

As soon as I saw the title of this post I was hooked. Alan and I got married in Florida and spent a few days in Miami Beach, although I don’t recall the restaurants being as nice as these ones! Your photography is making me soooo hungry right now (especially the breakfast ones) but I’m glad you had such a great time – welcome back! 🙂

Lisa | http://www.lisasnotebook.com

February 21, 2019 / 9:42 pm

Awww that’s so nice – to be fair James did some serious research to find these places, they were not on the main strip!

8. February 7, 2019 / 8:20 pm

Ahh I’m so glad you’re back!! I’ve missed your amazing content!! First of all I loooove Miami and second of all I am now starving!
    Rosie

February 21, 2019 / 9:49 pm

Awww that’s so nice to hear! Glad to be back!
      Hope you enjoy the rest of what’s to come!

9. February 7, 2019 / 9:30 pm

I love breakfast, it’s probably my favourite meal (when I’m not having pasta). The photos here are incredible, everything looks so delicious. I love the sound of Lilikoi Organic Living. Glad to see you back! x

Sophie

February 21, 2019 / 9:52 pm

We really need to start having good breakfasts here in London!
      I can’t even pick a favourite – they were all too good!

10. February 8, 2019 / 9:19 pm

So cool you went to Miami! I only been to Orlando and Cocoa Beach in Florida but you guys got me wanting to vacay Miami this summer. As an American we are obsessed over breakfast😂 I say you two had some tasty-looking meals🤤. So excited for you future blogging journey ❤️

Natonya | https://justnatonya.wordpress.com

February 21, 2019 / 9:52 pm

We would love to go back and visit more of Florida – let’s hope Disney haha
      I can see why you obsess over it – you have some pretty good tasty places!

11. February 10, 2019 / 8:16 pm

Miami is one of the cities I really want to check out! Mmm, DIRT looks delicious! I am digging the egg/avocado toast. I like the vibes from Zak the Baker as well. Glad you enjoyed your time out there! Thanks for sharing!

Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

February 21, 2019 / 10:00 pm

Miami was top on our list too and so grateful that we had the chance to visit! Def worth it!

12. February 11, 2019 / 12:08 am

Mmm, I love a good breakfast plate! I especially love seeing the avocado toast – who doesn’t like avocados on their toast?! Major yum! Thanks for sharing!

☼ eena / cabin twenty-four

February 21, 2019 / 10:01 pm

I do love a good old avocado on toast – especially sourdough!

13. Ashlee
    February 11, 2019 / 1:12 pm

Great to see you guys are back to blogging! Really looking forward to all your content to come.

MIAMI! Saw your posts on Instagram, looked amazing. Looks like you ate really well – both tasty and healthy!

Ashlee | ashleemoyo.com

February 21, 2019 / 10:02 pm

Woo thank you! It feels good to be back!
      Oh, we ate a bit too well – good think I had loose clothing!

14. jade bevan
    February 21, 2019 / 8:12 pm

amazing blog post! loved this thanks for shaing
    jadieegosh