Miami: American Clichés

If you’ve seen our Miami blog posts until now, you’ll know that (even though we say so ourselves) the restaurants we’ve been to have been pretty darn good. BUT, we couldn’t go all that way and also not experience the oh so typical, high school movie chained clichés that you (thankfully) can’t get in the UK.

We went in to all all three of these following places with our expectations low, but left with varying degrees of surprise. Whilst they weren’t the worst, we won’t be making any of them our first stop next time we’re on the other side of the Atlantic. Without further ado…

Nachos at Hooter's - American cliché

Hooters – home of the low cut vests, high calorie food and our pre-NBA match dinner. Set in the Bayside Marketplace amongst the downtown harbour which neighbours the American Airlines Arena, Hooters was packed with basketball fanatics, the majority donning their finest Dwayne Wade match replica vests. There was burgers, beers and boobs and therefore no room for complaint in all honesty.

We shared this ginormous plate of nachos and a side of classic hot wings which left us feeling bloated but somehow accomplished. This photo goes nowhere near justifying how much of the table that this dish took up. Along with a bargain $5 Margherita and Goose IPA, we had one of the famous American cliche’s ticked off our list.

Breakfast at iHop - American cliché

iHop – it was our final day in Miami and with nursing our one and only hangover of the holiday, we needed America’s equivalent of a Spoon’s full English. iHop came to the rescue and with both of us opting for things that should absolutely not go on an omelette, we were shocked to find out that both dishes come with A SIDE of a stack of pancakes. The side alone would’ve satisfied us quite nicely but an entire block of these, ribeye steak and well over 1000 calories later, it was time to start our final day. The day didn’t get far at all before we were back at the Air Bnb for a pre-flight snooze.

Wendy's - American cliché

Wendy’s – It was a little surprising not to find a McDonald’s on every street corner, infant I think we came across more branches of Wendy’s than any fast food chain. In our opinion, we’re not missing out here and America can keep this one…there’s honestly not a lot to say about this one other than it was $5 for a burger, fries, chicken nuggets and drink. Yep, that’s it.

Check back on Friday for the best Mexican meal we’ve ever had, extremely fancy and expensive cocktails, and some mighty fine ramen.

Thank you for continuing to read our Miami blog posts. Comment below what you like about them and what you’d like to see more of in 2019.

1. February 21, 2019 / 5:04 pm

I’m loving your Miami posts! I’ve been to iHop which I really enjoyed (though I only ate the pancakes!) And a drive-thru Wendy’s, which I don’t think I was very impressed by! It’s good to try these things once though! Excited for the next installment!
    Hels xx

February 24, 2019 / 8:10 pm

So glad to that you are – we’ve got two more Miami posts to come! iHop was really good!

2. February 21, 2019 / 5:04 pm

Oh man, I always thought Wendy’s was the fancier version of McDonald’s :/ I gotta say those nachos look delicious! Can I get one too?

February 24, 2019 / 8:10 pm

Maybe it was a bad batch, but we were not too fussed on it to be fair!

3. February 21, 2019 / 5:13 pm

Pancakes were a side?!?!?! One thing I’ve always noticed in America in general is how huge the portions are. I swear their small is our large? I’ve never eaten in any of these places so it’s good to know I haven’t been missing out 😂 x

Sophie

February 24, 2019 / 8:13 pm

I know right!! That breakfast at iHop was the most calories I’ve ever eaten in one sitting – worth it but I could not do that on a daily basis!

4. February 21, 2019 / 6:27 pm

Lolol I’m a big foodie and I loveeee eating honestly so trust when I say I get excited going to America just cause of the food serving sizes 😂 I think I like McDonalds and Wendy’s equally. I’ve only ever had iHop once in my life lol but it was decent. The omelette you had though looks mighty yummy!

xx Lena | https://lenadeexo.com

February 24, 2019 / 8:14 pm

iHop was great – glad we tried what we did but I would defo go again for more pancakes!

5. Jenny in Neverland
    February 21, 2019 / 6:50 pm

Oh my God I’d love to go to all these “typical” American places to eat! I hear them mentioned all the time especially on YouTuber’s videos that I watch and I’m like “I don’t know what that is!” <3

Jenny

February 24, 2019 / 8:19 pm

I know right – this is why we were so excited! Glad we got to try them, ut there is so much more we’d love to try!

6. Asher Downer
    February 21, 2019 / 8:35 pm

Yum yum yum! this made me so hungry!

February 24, 2019 / 8:19 pm

Have you been to any of these spots?

7. February 21, 2019 / 9:33 pm

I don’t think I’d heard of Wendys before today and this is the second place I’ve come across it, what are the chances! Oh my gosh so much food – what comes with a SIDE of pancakes? Portion sizes might look quite sad once you get home. Sounds like a great trip though.

February 24, 2019 / 8:20 pm

Oh wow that’s such a weird coincidence! You’d be surprised, I was glad to come back to normal portions – I thought I was going to explode haha

February 24, 2019 / 8:21 pm

It was a great trip to try their American chain spots!

8. February 21, 2019 / 11:13 pm

Have to say I do like iHop. I think in and Out is the burger of choice in the USA

February 24, 2019 / 8:21 pm

We were so upset to find out that they didn’t have a local In and Out in Miami but hopefully when we go to other states in the future, we will!

9. February 22, 2019 / 8:21 pm

I love this post! I remember going to iHop when my family and I travelled to the US a couple years back. I also wasn’t expecting much from it but I actually really enjoyed the whole experience there. Their pancakes are pretty good in my opinion!

February 24, 2019 / 8:22 pm

The food was great and quick, much calories but so worth it!

February 24, 2019 / 8:22 pm

Oh hope you feel better soon to enjoy and love food all over again!

February 24, 2019 / 8:28 pm

I’m so glad you’ve been enjoying them – we hope that you enjoy the next two coming posts!

February 24, 2019 / 8:28 pm

The pancakes were the best sides we’ve ever had!

February 24, 2019 / 8:29 pm

It was the biggest sharing nachos we’ve ever had!

10. February 23, 2019 / 12:19 am

Really enjoyed this post! I love Wendy’s, you can’t go wrong!

February 24, 2019 / 8:29 pm

We didn’t think much of it but maybe we’re biased for McDs ahah

11. February 24, 2019 / 5:48 pm

Oh man, I haven’t been to Hooters before but know so many people who do. Their nachos look delicious! Mm, you can never go wrong with a traditional American breakfast. Surprisingly, even though I’ve lived in the US my whole life, I never had Wendy’s before. Thanks for sharing!

Nancy ♥ exquisitely.me

February 24, 2019 / 8:30 pm

What would be your fave place to go to with your American chains?