Italy: Dip in the Ocean in Sorrento

After an amazing day in Pompei the day before, we moved further down to Sorrento – the gateway to the Amalfi Coast.

Before we get into what was an incredible day, a quick note on getting there. As mentioned in our previous post, the train services from Naples are frequent but far from luxurious. Unfortunately the Circumvesuviana train seats make it look more like an old and abandoned primary school classroom, however it is cheap and the destination made it more than worth it.

With all of our main stops on our Italian trip being large cities, a beach day wouldn’t be possible following only the second day into a two week holiday. Sorrento was not only our chance to soak in rays, but also soak in the culture, beautiful architecture and fully escape from the bustling city life. However before we oddly got lost finding our way to the harbour and seafront, we stopped for some mouthwatering pasta and found ourselves wandering the narrow shopping streets.

Like The Shambles in York but with extra sun, Sorrento town centre is awash with charming shops, restaurants and lemons which so elegantly avoid the tourist trap vibes and huge crowds. Sorrento lemons are a staple in Italian cooking so it even manages to smell good – we couldn’t leave without a small bottle of Limoncello to remember our time here.

After walking a long way downhill to reach the front, it was time to relax. Only a small part of it is actually a beach but we snapped up a spot and simply spent time swimming out and looking around in awe at our surroundings.

Sorrento was indeed much smaller than we thought, but with it just being one small part of the glorious Amalfi Coast, it only confirmed that maybe that deserves a holiday all of its own at some point in the future.

Whilst time ran out to take the short boat ride to Capri, it was a beautiful day which lived up to massive expectations. Sorrento was sublime, sophisticated and sunny and we’d definitely like to return and spend longer here. We would’ve loved to take boat rides to numerous islands and perhaps a spot of kayaking, which looked like amazing fun.

After spending two nights in Naples, it was finally time to see the city. Check back for our next post from the home of pizza.

You can also find us on:

1. helen christie
    July 2, 2018 / 4:11 pm

What gorgeous photos! I've never been to Sorrento but after seeing yours and Abbey's photos I'd love to visit! There's nothing quite like Italian lemons! Glad you had such a wonderful time!Hels xxwww.thehelsproject.com

July 6, 2018 / 1:43 pm

Oh my, you would love Sorrento – I'd imagine it would be a great place to go with the family!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

2. Hello Bexa
    July 2, 2018 / 4:15 pm

Wow! Sorrento looks absolutely stunning and your photos are amazing. Your posts are making me want to go back to Italy and explore more. It’s such a beautiful place <3 xxBexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

July 6, 2018 / 1:44 pm

So stunning and such a beautiful to simply walk around in!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

3. Britt K | Alternatively Speaking
    July 2, 2018 / 4:23 pm

Your pictures are so incredibly stunning! I definitely need to add Sorrento to the list of places that I want to visit someday! Britt | http://alternativelyspeaking.ca

July 6, 2018 / 1:44 pm

Yes you do because it is honestly a stunning place to visit!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

4. Sarah Dean
    July 2, 2018 / 4:29 pm

Looks absolutely amazing! Sorrento is definitely on my list. 🙂

July 6, 2018 / 1:45 pm

Such a beautiful place, can't be missed!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

5. Eve Morgan
    July 2, 2018 / 4:39 pm

This brings back so many memories for me. I went to Sorrento and the Amalfi coast a few years ago and it is so beautiful! Lovely photos.Eve x

July 6, 2018 / 1:53 pm

Amazing! We'd love to go back and go along the Amalfi coast more!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

6. Sophie Wentworth
    July 2, 2018 / 4:46 pm

This looks absolutely incredible. I've never been to this part of Italy but I've seen so many amazing things about Sorrento online. It's definitely on my list! x Sophiewww.glowsteady.co.uk

July 6, 2018 / 1:54 pm

Ugh so beautiful, we would defo return, as we know there's so much more to see!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

7. Kirsty HIll
    July 2, 2018 / 5:15 pm

This place looks so charming and quaint and it looks like you had the best weather to enjoy it too

July 6, 2018 / 1:54 pm

The weather was the cherry on top for sure!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

8. Mummywho
    July 3, 2018 / 5:47 am

Gorgeous photos! My parents are currently in Sorento and travelling Italy for the next few weeks. I'm extremely jealousKate xxwww.mummywho.com

July 6, 2018 / 1:54 pm

oh amazing, hope they have the best time because we sure did!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

9. Ashlee Moyo
    July 15, 2018 / 1:44 pm

Sorrento looks amazing! It wasn't initially on my list of places to visit, but I would definitely take a trip when I am on that side of Italy again.Ashlee | ashleemoyo.com

September 5, 2018 / 8:42 am

It's such a beautiful place, we would highly recommend it for a nice day trip or even for a more chilled vibe holiday.Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕