Italy: Day Trip to Pompeii Ruins

Touch down Italy! Enough of the build up, planning, shopping, packing and all else we’ve bombarded you with recently – now it’s time for the action to begin. We start our adventures in the area of Naples, where before we’d seen beyond the airport and our Air Bnb we were straight on our first train to Pompei, which is just 35 minutes away.

Top tip: there are a number of route options from Naples to Pompei but we recommend taking the Trenitalia train, not the Circumvesuviana – these trains make Northern Rail look like the future as we unfortunately found out the next day on our way to Sorrento. You buy your tickets on the day from the station.

History lesson coming up… the city of Pompei was mostly destroyed and buried in ash from the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79AD. It’s 11,000 inhabitants died and the site was lost for 1,500 years. This until its rediscovery in 1599 which unearthed the objects that lay beneath the city which were amazingly well preserved due to the lack of air and moisture from the tons of ash covering them.

Pompei has now been a tourist destination for over 250 years. Whilst we chose to navigate and roam around ourselves, tour guides are on hand to enlighten guests of each piece of architecture and offer a comprehensive and effective route of the vast terrain.

Highlights include the amphitheatre, Basilica and brothel that we were stunned to find along the way. Simply wandering the uneven paved streets, discovering gardens and the shock of body casts will certainly live long in the memory.

It’s easy to see why Pompei has become one of Italy’s top attractions but with the area being so large and open all day long, it never felt crowded and despite the extremely hot weather, it was the perfect leisurely introduction to this wonderful country.

You can also find us on:

1. Han Armstrong
    June 21, 2018 / 6:52 am

This looks like such an incredible trip, Italy has always been a place that I've wanted to visit! xHan | lifewithhan.blog

July 6, 2018 / 1:32 pm

It's been an amazing trip! Italy will always be worth it!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

2. neverlandvicki
    June 25, 2018 / 4:06 pm

oh wow Pompei looks incredible, looks like you had the best time! xvicki xhttp://neverlandvicki.blogspot.com/

July 6, 2018 / 1:33 pm

We had the best time thank you!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

3. Hello Bexa
    June 25, 2018 / 4:07 pm

Italy is such a beautiful and interesting country. I would love to visit more of it and Pompei is definitely on my list! It sounds like a fascinating place and your photos are brilliant! Thank you for sharing <3 xxBexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

July 6, 2018 / 1:34 pm

Pompei is much filled with so much history – would highly recommend!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

4. Tea Time With Ciara
    June 25, 2018 / 4:09 pm

I loved Pompei when I went a few years ago! It was such a great day out and I wish that I had longer there to explore it all! Glad you enjoyed it!Ciara | https://teatimewithciara.com/

July 6, 2018 / 1:35 pm

We feel like we covered a good amount but defo could have stayed longer if our feet weren't hurting so much but so worth it!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

5. Jasmin
    June 25, 2018 / 4:20 pm

When I was younger, I was extremely interested in volcanic eruptions & Pompeii and its story was always the one I was interested in the most. Would love to visit there one day, by reading this and seeing all the pictures I definitely need to visit there one day :-)lots of love, Jasmin// littlethingswithjassy.com

July 6, 2018 / 1:35 pm

You would defo love this place! So amazing, so much to learn!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

6. Tiffany Rawling
    June 25, 2018 / 4:21 pm

I always love reading about your travels! Pompeii looks absolutely amazing, I would love to visit one day, such a fascinating place! xTiffany x http://www.foodandotherloves.co.uk

July 6, 2018 / 1:36 pm

Such a beautiful and fascinating place! We hope you get to visit soon too!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

7. Lisa McLachlan
    June 25, 2018 / 9:05 pm

We went to Sorrento many years ago, it was amazing. My golden memory is sipping brandy in warmed glasses in the square after dinner 🙂 And we did go to Pompeii too, which was just fascniating. Your photos brought it all back, thank you so much for sharing! xLisa | http://www.lisasnotebook.com

July 6, 2018 / 1:37 pm

Aww how amazing! Sounds great, Sorrento was so pretty! Glad to bring you back some lovely memories!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

8. Sophie Wentworth
    June 25, 2018 / 10:57 pm

Italy is such an amazing country, so rich in culture and history. I'm loving keeping up with your travels. All of your photographs here are amazing. It sounds like the two of you are having a phenomenal time xSophie http://www.glowsteady.co.uk

July 6, 2018 / 1:37 pm

Exactly! Thank you so much, hope you enjoy reading the rest of our travels!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

9. Charlotte Clark
    July 6, 2018 / 8:24 pm

Aaaah I’m SO jealous (as usual). Italy is one of the places I’m dying to visit and you went to 3 places that are on my bucket list! Pompeii looks amazing – I’m always so surprised that some parts of it still look so complete and they haven’t collapsed after this long. I’m going to make it a goal to go there myself one day!

September 5, 2018 / 8:41 am

Italy is stunning and you must make your way here ASAP! It's defo a must!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

10. Ashlee Moyo
    July 15, 2018 / 1:47 pm

Awhhh; you guys look so freaking cute. Glad you had a great time in Pompeii (:Ashlee | ashleemoyo.com

September 5, 2018 / 8:41 am

Thank you lovely! We had the best time!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕