Copenhagen: The Copenhagen Food Tour

Here we are again – another European city and another fantastic food tour. We were in the beautiful city of Copenhagen for Jessica’s birthday weekend and couldn’t pass off the opportunity to explore Denmark’s culinary scene.

When finding the start point for Sandeman’s New Europe Tour, we joked about the hotdog stands which are dotted around the city being a stop on the tour. 10 minutes later, and there we were enjoying something which definitely shouldn’t be judged on its cover. These hotdogs are originally German, but have become the most popular street food in Denmark. Open all day and most of the night to capture the spill overs from the many bars and clubs, they were amazingly delicious.

There were raw onions, cooked onions, ketchup, mustard and pickles making for soft, crispy, hot and cold all in one mouthful. It’s hard to find a quick and cheap snack in this affluent city but this is definitely the way to go and it was a fantastic way to kick off the tour.

Next up… beer! In Tap House there are 61 beers on tap which are all local to Copenhagen. The first of two tasters was an IPA and the second was a complete opposite in a coffee like stout. Drinking is key to the Danish concept of Hygge – locals mostly drink to relax and not get drunk. They have a deep care for the quality of the drinks and drink slowly to savour the taste and enjoy good company.

We were lucky to stumble across Torvehallerne markets just around the corner from our hotel when we first arrived. After a wander around and one of the best coffees we’ve ever had at The Coffee Collective, we were delighted to be back a few hours later on the tour. These food markets go way back to opening in 1889 but reopened as the glass containers they are today in 2011.

With everything from cheese, Danish pastries and sushi, we tried their famous smorobrod (rye bread) with curry dip. It was spicy, melt in the mouth and completely perfect.

That wasn’t the last of the rye bread and that came as no surprise when we found out that on average a Dane consumes 30kg of it every year! It’s often made at home to take out to school or work with simple ingredients on top. However restaurants like to jazz it up and at our next stop, Skaal, they did just that.

With a board of smorobrod topped herring & capers and potatoes & eggs, we were treated to this famous Danish delicacy yet again. ‘Skaal’ translates into English as ‘cheers’ and more IPA’s followed out to enjoy alongside.

What would a tour of Copenhagen be if we didn’t end with Danish pastries? These often used as an afternoon snack was the perfect way to end a fantastic tour.

Shorter than most tours we’ve done in other cities at around 2.5 hours, we were in walking distance between each stop and managed many new parts of Copenhagen along the way. Our guide, Laura, was amazing and we’d fully recommend this fantastic culinary experience.

Disclaimer: we were given discounted tickets to the Sandeman’s New Europe Food Tour in exchange for an honest review. However as always, all pictures and views are our own.

You can also find us on:

1. Pinkiebag Pinkiebag
    March 9, 2018 / 8:03 pm

Oh those hotdogs look god I am imaging the combinations of onion and mustard. As for an afternoon pastry yes please.

March 11, 2018 / 12:54 pm

The hotdog was actually the best – really want to try and recreate it!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

2. Leana Jay
    March 9, 2018 / 8:06 pm

The dishes with the potatoes and red onions looks sooo good! Great photos btw!

March 11, 2018 / 12:57 pm

It was definitely the favourite combo!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

3. Sabrina Greenberg
    March 9, 2018 / 8:12 pm

OMG everything looks so delicious! I’m a celiac so I’m having to live vicariously through your adventures!x

March 11, 2018 / 1:02 pm

Ugh, still glad you think so and live away girl!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

4. Hello Bexa
    March 9, 2018 / 8:15 pm

Wow! Your photography is always so stunning and the food makes me so hungry! I love the look of the Danish pastries, they would be perfect with a cuppa 💖 xxBexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

March 11, 2018 / 1:07 pm

Thank you! Those Danish pastries would go so well with a cuppa (or a coffee)Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

5. Bukola Veronica
    March 9, 2018 / 8:17 pm

One of the things I love about travelling is getting the chance to taste different foods and all of this look absolutely delicious!Bukola Veronica,www.bukolaveronica.com

March 11, 2018 / 1:13 pm

That is definitely one of the main reason we love travelling – the food! Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

6. Jade Marie
    March 9, 2018 / 8:27 pm

Wow all that food looks delicious!! I'm a pick eater normally but I need to try one of those hotdogs haha xxJade Marie | jademarie.co.uk

March 11, 2018 / 1:16 pm

The hotdogs were definitely worth trying – now I'm craving them again!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

7. Domesticated Rebellion
    March 9, 2018 / 8:30 pm

Danish pastries simply took my breath away… Those look so tender and exceptionally flaky.. I need some! Great detail ~ Thank you for sharing!

March 11, 2018 / 1:18 pm

Love us some Danish pastries! So tender and flaky for sure!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

8. Melanie Fraser
    March 9, 2018 / 9:54 pm

The pickles on those hotdogs……yummy! This sounds like such a great tour and finishing with pastries could it be any more perfect?Thanks for sharing 😃Melanie | http://www.frasersfunhouse.com

March 11, 2018 / 1:21 pm

The pickles was the extra topping to complete the whole test! Ugh so good!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

March 11, 2018 / 9:12 am

Mmmmm Danish pastries! I didn't actually know that these are more traditionally eaten as an afternoon snack, I would usually associate them with breakfast time but let's face it, they're so tasty that I'd happily eat them at any time of the day hehe! The Danish commitment to their quality of their drinks is fantastic, I bet this shone through in the taste! I can definitely get on board with their concept of Hygge and having a few drinks to relax rather than getting really drunk haha! I'm not surprised that the Danes manage 30kg of rye bread per year with all of those tasty toppings! As always this was a mouthwatering post!Abbey xx

March 11, 2018 / 1:28 pm

Yes, this was something we had learnt too! Apparently,it was something for after school snack. Honestly, the Hygge life is how we should all live – it's just so calming.Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

March 11, 2018 / 10:17 am

Omg you guys. .. this is RUINING my diet lol. I absolutely love hot dogs, I find them real comfort food and those from the stand look absolutely delicious! I've never actually heard much about Danish food, so the Rye Bread volumes are pretty interesting! I'm tucked up in bed with a tea and now I can think of nothing better than the prospect of a Danish pastry..!Skaal! Kate x http://www.findingkate.co

March 11, 2018 / 1:35 pm

We simply don't have enough hotdogs to be honest! Danish food comes in small portions but so worth it all and now all I want is Danish pastries!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

11. Alisha Valerie Gerrard
    March 12, 2018 / 9:41 am

Sounds like you both had a really wonderful time guys! 🌸✨With love, Alisha Valerie x | http://www.alishavalerie.com

March 12, 2018 / 11:28 pm

It was such a great meal!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

12. Charlotte Clark
    March 19, 2018 / 11:05 pm

Yet again, I am so completely jealous of your holiday and I wish I was small enough to fit in your suitcase! The food looks great and I want to eat it aaall. 😀 Love the vlog too!

March 20, 2018 / 11:23 am

Aww glad you liked the vlog! Oh how we wish we could go on holiday with all the bloggers! That'd be amazing!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕