Valentine’s Day: Kettle Black – Ecclesall Road, Sheffield

The connotations and images conjured up from the words “a Sheffield night out” probably don’t resonate with the photos you’re looking at here. As a final year student, the joys of the infamous Corp and Tank et al nights have long faded, and damn, some would say I’ve even matured in that respect. The city definitely needed an alternative and low and behold, here we are for the first time here at Kettle Black, an exclusive cocktail and wine bar on the golden mile of Ecclesall Road.

After having to work on Valentine’s Day itself, we glammed ourselves up for a big Thursday night, or ‘singles awareness day’ as it was at Kettle Black. Half price cocktails all night in chilled surroundings was what we needed, and what we got with class and style dashed all over it.

The bar was surprisingly sparse when we first arrived at 9pm, but got gradually busier as time went by. We’re definitely looking to come back on a weekend and experience a more lively atmosphere  – they have DJ’s every Saturday, live bands and oddly the only 2am license on ‘Eccy’ Road. But what it did mean is that we had table service from two extremely welcoming and attentive barmen and a full explanation of the drinks menu.

Whilst sipping on our welcome prosecco, we learnt that the cocktail menu is illustrated in terms of sweet to sour, and strength of alcohol from low to high. It’s a great idea and made choosing from page after page of drinks much easier.

Our first round – The Jamaican Bull, and Singapore Sling. With ‘bull’ indicative of the strength of the drink and even the menu warning ‘it’s not for the faint hearted,’ I was feeling brave. However the lime, coconut and pineapple juice balanced the powerful wray rum for a delicious flavour and it was certainly out of the ordinary, for me at least.

The Singapore Sling was equally as daring but refreshing, with Jessica’s favourite gin, contreau and various juices going down an absolute treat. After beginning our evening on a high table and moving to stand at the bar to take in the impressive selection of alcohol on display, we ended our time here on the sofas with a second round of cocktails.

This time I opted for a more traditional approach with an Espresso Martini with mint, whilst Jessica took a recommendation for the Rouge Kettle which mixed single grain whisky, fresh raspberries and bitters to create a rambunctious but elegant delight.

We feel like we’ve only touched the surface of this place – it’s class and exclusivity is there for all to see but with a Haig Club Whisky lounge available to hire, VIP mezzanine and cocktail classes we will surely bring us back here time and time again for occasions or when we simply want to treat ourselves.

This is the classiest venue we’ve seen in Sheffield and we love it. Thank you so much to Kettle Black for a wonderful evening!

Disclaimer: these drinks were complimentary to us in exchange for an honest review. However as always, all pictures and views are our own.

You can also find us on:

1. Sophie Wentworth
    February 22, 2018 / 5:04 pm

I love the look of this bar! All of your drinks look incredible too. Sounds like had a lovely evening x Sophiewww.glowsteady.co.uk

February 26, 2018 / 7:30 pm

The drinks were so good and the bar itself is just so pretty!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

2. Pinkiebag Pinkiebag
    February 22, 2018 / 5:06 pm

Hi, I like the the fact that the menu has a grid with sweet , sour strong and weak to help your with your choices.

February 26, 2018 / 7:30 pm

It was the perfect touch – so helpful!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

3. secondstartotheright
    February 22, 2018 / 5:15 pm

I don't drink alcohol but this looks like a lovely place. Your photos are gorgeous, as always!Jennyhttp://www.jennyinneverland.com

February 26, 2018 / 7:31 pm

I’m sure they’d do just as pretty mocktails!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

4. Hello Bexa
    February 22, 2018 / 5:24 pm

Wow! Your photography is always stunning! This place looks gorgeous and it sounds like you both had a lovely evening 😘 xxBexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

February 26, 2018 / 7:31 pm

Thank you so much! It was the best evening!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

5. Cally Lai
    February 22, 2018 / 5:59 pm

Those drink sound so delicious! The bar looks gorgeous as well! It looks like you had such a lovely evening and found a lovely bar for future celebrations! Love, Cally xwww.lovecally.com

February 26, 2018 / 7:32 pm

The drinks were delicious and so picturesque!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

February 26, 2018 / 7:33 pm

It was so good, great hint of mint!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

6. Lucy Hope
    February 22, 2018 / 8:13 pm

This bar looks absolutely fantastic and those cocktails look/sound so delicious. Your photography is lovely! Next time I visit Sheffield, I'll be sure to drop by this bar. Luce xo

February 26, 2018 / 7:34 pm

Yes please do, this is the best place to be in Sheffield!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

7. Madi Dearson
    February 22, 2018 / 8:17 pm

The pictures are amazing – and right now being sprawled all over my couch bone tired, I would kill for one of drinks…Glad you had a fun time.

February 26, 2018 / 7:34 pm

These are definitely the perfect pick me up!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

8. Alys Daniels-Creasey
    February 22, 2018 / 8:21 pm

Love the look of this place! Stunning photos too!Alyshttps://alysjournals.wordpress.com/

February 26, 2018 / 7:37 pm

So pretty! We’ll be back!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

9. Whitney Harries
    February 22, 2018 / 8:27 pm

I am so in love with this bar just from the pictures! I love cocktails as well so I think I would fit in here, I am definitely coming here one day! x

February 26, 2018 / 7:38 pm

I’m sure you would! We’d highly recommend it! Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

10. Ellyn Rebecca
    February 22, 2018 / 8:37 pm

I am a big cocktails fan – I don’t like fizzy drinks so I always found my favourite non-fizzy alcoholic drinks were always cocktails! My favourite though is a Woo Woo (Vodka, Peach Schnapps and Cranberry Juice!). I will definitely have to check this place out if I ever come to Sheffield!Ellyn x | Life Of A Beauty Nerd

February 26, 2018 / 7:39 pm

Love a good woo woo too! I’m not sure if they had that but I’m sure they’ll make it for you!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

11. What Corinne Did
    February 26, 2018 / 5:08 pm

I love the look of this bar! The cocktails look and sound amazing! I love cocktail so much! My boyfriend is not as much of a fan but it does not matter! I can take him with me anyway! ahah xx corinne

February 26, 2018 / 7:40 pm

Hahaha drag him there anyway, still a romantic set and there’s more on offer!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

12. Hels
    February 26, 2018 / 5:27 pm

This bar sounds lovely! The Jamaican Bull sounds like my kind of drink! I love trying out different cocktails, I tend to go for the fruitier options!Hels xxwww.thehelsproject.com

February 26, 2018 / 7:41 pm

Same, we’re definitely the fruitier kind too and we love that the menu shows you which ones are and what glass it comes in! Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

13. Perrine Vautour
    February 26, 2018 / 6:44 pm

Sounds like a great place to go! It's a great idea to indicate the sweetness and bitterness of the drink, would definitely help me choose :)Perrinewww.ola-banana.com

February 26, 2018 / 7:41 pm

It was so easy and we loved that it also showed what glass it came in!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

14. Chloe
    February 26, 2018 / 6:47 pm

The photos in this are GORGEOUS! I am a big fan of cocktails, so always a winner with me haha Chloe ❤️ http://www.anomalouschloe.com

February 26, 2018 / 7:42 pm

Thank you so much! This is the place to be if you love cocktails!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

15. Caitlin Houston
    February 26, 2018 / 6:55 pm

wow this looks great xxwww.lifeascaitlin.co.uk/

February 26, 2018 / 7:42 pm

It really was!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

16. Sam Macaree
    March 31, 2018 / 4:27 pm

#FBEggHunt

March 31, 2018 / 6:07 pm

Hahah I can definitely agree that these images don’t bring to mind exactly what you first imagine when you hear the words “Sheffield night out”! 😉 This sounds way better though and the cocktails are presented so well! I love the fact that the menu is organised from sweet to sour, sometimes if you’re not an alcohol buff it can be hard to predict if you’ll enjoy a particular tipple or not but with this layout, you can’t go wrong!#FBEggHuntAbbey ❤️❤️

18. Anonymous
    June 11, 2018 / 8:34 am

great place but need to get control of the drug sales in the toilets.