Travel Tips: How We Travel On A Budget

We’re only just coming to the end of the second month of the year, and in just less than two weeks from today we will be jetting off to our third country this year. How? I hear you ask. Well this is what we’re going to share with you today.

We are not and have never claimed to be luxury travellers. Don’t get me wrong, we love a good location and to be pampered but if you’re a student or simply on that budget life and you want to travel as much as we do, you’ve got to make sacrifices and know when and where to go for the best prices.

Disclaimer: we are no experts in looking into cheap flights, nor are we saying this is the only way – this is simply how we’ve managed to do what we do.

Booking flightsSkycanner and Ryanair flash sales are what I live for. I don’t know about you, but Skyscanner is so easy to navigate and is so clear to find the cheapest flights, based on month and flexible dates. I love the fact that you can enter the dates you are looking to go and have the choice to click “everywhere” which then gives you lists of cities and countries, starting from the cheapest.Although we have a list of places to visit within the next few years, we love taking spontaneous trips to countries we haven’t been to before. For example our trip to Lisbon was £77 return for both of us! Could I really miss out on that opportunity?Booking in advance is also something that has played in our favour, I love to plan, so it helps that I find these deals before the prices rises.Looking for accommodationWe tend to look for Airbnb’s as they seem to add up to be cheaper than most hotels, unless you find some lucky ones in certain cities. When looking for somewhere to stay, we always weight out the price to its location. If you know most of the things you want to do and see is in the centre, then seeing if it’s worth getting a more expensive hotel/Airbnb in the centre may weigh out from having to pay for public transport passes.We’ve never been big fans of the thought of hostels and although we’ve expressed that they’re not as bad as we thought, it’s not something that naturally comes to mind as a couple.We love a luxury hotel but as long as it’s got the essentials and it’s clean and is safe, we’re not too fussed on what it looks like. At the end of the day, we don’t plan on staying in the hotel for most of our trip anyway – we’ll be out exploring and it’s simply a place to crash.Planning on what you’re going to see and doOther than finding inspiration from watching vlogs and reading other blogger’s experiences, we love to use TripAdvisor. It has always been our go-to.When researching on what we want to see and do, we usually check it against the city pass/card to see what if offers. As most of them include transport as well as free entry or reduced entry to their attractions, the pass usually ends up working out cheaper and gives you more options to visit things you didn’t think you wanted to.The most important – where to eatAs you know we pride ourselves in trying local foods when travelling and of course, finding the best cheap eats. Food is what most of our money gets spent on, so in order to eat more while on a budget, we have to do our research.Again, TripAdvisor is our saviour as you can filter to cheap eats, ratings and how far it is from your current location. We also do our own research, find blog posts and take recommendations. Instagram is also a great source in finding locations and the prettiest spots.Sometimes, simply roaming the streets of the city is the best way to find hidden gems.//We hope this helps you or gives you more of an insight of how we manage to travel and do what we do. It does require a lot of planning, saving and some sacrifice to an extent, but it’s all worth it if like us, your dream if to travel.What are your travel secrets? Do you want to see more travel insights from us?Let us know in the comments below.

You can also find us on:

1. Holly
    February 20, 2018 / 7:04 pm

Some great tips! I’m forever reading reviews on Airbnb or blogs to research and book – the best way. Holly xwww.ldnmuse.com

February 20, 2018 / 9:38 pm

Thank you, forever reading reviews!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

2. Antonia
    February 20, 2018 / 7:18 pm

This post is so helpful. It's my goal to travel as much as I can this year. As I'm a student finding tips on how to travel on a budget is always something I appreciate. Antonia || Sweet Passions

February 20, 2018 / 9:40 pm

I'm so glad you found this helpful! Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

3. Rosie Ireland
    February 20, 2018 / 7:49 pm

These tips are crazy helpful! I am so envious of your travels but absolutely LOVE that you’re so real and are honest about doing it on a budget! Makes you so much more relatable!!

February 20, 2018 / 9:41 pm

Thank you so much, we wish we were living a fairy tail dream but the truth is we budget so hard but it's so worth it!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

4. Melanie Fraser
    February 20, 2018 / 7:57 pm

What fantastic advice and tips! If I had more oppourtunity to travel it would def be on a budget as I don’t see the need to overspend esp on accommodation as you don’t go travelling to sit in your room all day !Thanks for sharing such a great post 😃Melanie | http://www.frasersfunhouse.com

February 20, 2018 / 9:42 pm

Exactly our thoughts! So glad you agree!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

5. Alisha Ceit Iver
    February 20, 2018 / 8:48 pm

Oh Skyscanner is just the best thing on earth! I’m going away to Brussels at the end of March so some perfect tips for that trip! http://www.alishaceit.com

February 20, 2018 / 9:43 pm

Oh it really is! Yay, hope it does help, we also have some posts when we went to Brussels if the helps too!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

6. Lena Dee
    February 20, 2018 / 10:09 pm

I love that you addressed this! I think so many people dream about the idea of traveling almost everywhere and to certain countries and believe it ALWAYS has to be expensive. I keep seeing lovely reviews about the use of Airbnb and that’s it’s key to read the reviews. Thank you for sharing your traveling tips & I look forward to seeing more of your travels & yummy food ☺️💕xx Lena | https://lenadeexo.com

February 20, 2018 / 10:18 pm

Thank you, exactly our thoughts and I'm glad you agree! Thank you for your kinds words and I hope you continue to follow our journey!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

7. Alisha Valerie Gerrard
    February 21, 2018 / 11:25 am

Since I'm going on my honeymoon this year, I was really happy to read this blog post and get some travel tips from you both. I adored everything you mentioned and know I'm going to be bookmarking this page to come back to over ad over again. Thank you for sharing 🌸✨With love, Alisha Valerie x | http://www.alishavalerie.com

March 22, 2018 / 1:45 pm

I'm glad you have taken inspiration from our post! Look forward to seeing more travel stuff from you!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

8. Sophie Wentworth
    February 21, 2018 / 10:11 pm

These are such great tips! Travel budgeting is definitely something I struggle with. I love skyscanner though! x Sophie http://www.glowsteady.co.uk

March 22, 2018 / 1:46 pm

Skyscanner is amazing – hope this helps in any way!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

9. Charlotte Clark
    February 22, 2018 / 3:11 pm

I always wonder how you two get to travel so much, and this explains it. I'm so excited at the prospect of traveling more, and it's something my sister and I are really working on. We're aiming to get away somewhere this summer but we're not sure where yet (any recommendations for cheap places to go would be wonderful. I might have a look through your posts again for some inspiration!) Especially love the tips about flights, because they can often be the most expensive bit. Thank you!

March 22, 2018 / 1:47 pm

We personally find for the right dates, the flights can be the cheapest thing we spend on! Do check out our previous posts, as we do try to budget as much as possible with a few worthy treats! Do let us know if you have any other questions!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

10. Alys Daniels-Creasey
    February 23, 2018 / 8:34 am

Some brilliant tips here! Love this post. I'm really getting the urge to travel again and can't wait to plan my summer!Alyswww.alysjournals.wordpress.com

March 22, 2018 / 1:47 pm

Hope this help you plan your summer travels, do let us know if you need any other help!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

11. Ashlee Moyo
    March 20, 2018 / 11:23 pm

Great posts! I would definitely second all the tips you've shared. Skyscanner is my absolute babe – I window shop on there everyday.Ashlee | ashleemoyo.com

March 22, 2018 / 1:48 pm

Skyscanne is definitely something I check on a regular basis to find some gems!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕