Restaurant: Koko – Ecclesall Road, Sheffield

Seared selection – 3pcs seared salmon nigiri, 3pcs seared tuna nigiri, 2pcs seared seabass nigiri, 2pcs seared tobiko salmon temari, 2pcs seared sesame schichimi tuna temari – £16

Valentine’s weekend was all about visiting the best places on Sheffield’s Ecclesall Road. After Thursday night’s visit to Kettle Black, our Saturday evening led us to Koko – the best Japanese restaurant in the city.

It had been too long since we’ve had quality sushi – this was probably back on our anniversary in September at London’s Sushi Samba. It had been long awaited, and even longer since we’ve been planning to specifically come to this spot. After living nearby a couple of years ago, we were checking out the menu almost every time we walked past.

We found the extra incentive after finding out that they accept Taste Card’s which gets you 50% off the entire bill. Considering the amount that we had, we left feeling like we’d almost cheated them out of it so spent the saving at the nearby Monk Bar. Another fantastic Sheffield find!

Miso soup – £3.50, Edamame and garlic butter – £3.50

Starting with delicious appetisers of traditional miso soup and edamame beans with a garlic dip, we chose two plates of sushi platters to share.

First up was their Koko sushi selection which all in all had 19 pieces. Along with avocado and cucumber rolls, as always the fish pieces stood out. Salmon, tuna, prawn and more – it had it all! Each piece was entirely different in taste and as always, the ginger was there to cleanse the pallet in between.

Despite our second plate – the seared selection only having 12 pieces, this was definitely our favourite of the two dishes. Again with salmon and tuna nigiri, seabass and plenty more, this plate was all about the fish and it was exactly what we came for.

Koko sushi selection – 6pcs salmon avocado roll, 3pcs avocado maki, 3pcs cucumber maki, salmon nigiri, tuna nigiri, prawn nigiri, seabass nigiri, tobiko salmon temaro, tamago, rice inari – £19.50

It’s safe to say that Koko makes up the big three Japanese restaurants that we’ve visited along with London’s Sticks n Sushi and Sushi Samba.

We spent over £130 in Sushi Samba five months ago, here with the Taste Card discount – £26.55. Oh how we love the North!

Food: ★★★★

Customer service: ★★★★

Atmosphere: ★★★

You can also find us on:

1. Rosie Ireland
    February 25, 2018 / 8:03 pm

This place sounds amaaaaazing! I love a bit of sushi and lord knows I love going out for dinner

February 26, 2018 / 7:46 pm

It was the perfect place and had so much good sushi!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

2. Rachel Sargent
    February 25, 2018 / 8:05 pm

All your posts make me sooo hungry!! All this food looks absolutely delicious

February 26, 2018 / 7:46 pm

Haha good! It was so tasty!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

3. The AnnieChanie Blog
    February 25, 2018 / 8:11 pm

Sushi is one of my all time favourite foods so you can imagine how much I really enjoyed this post! It sounds like a really nice restaurant! Thanks for sharing it with us! 🙂

February 26, 2018 / 7:47 pm

OMG you really have to visit this place then, their sushi is amazing!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

4. Hels
    February 25, 2018 / 8:15 pm

Oh I love sushi! I'm meant to be going to sushi samba soon and I'm really excited (though not at the price point!) Beautiful photos, it looks like you had a great time – and tastecard is awesome!Hels xxwww.thehelsproject.com

February 26, 2018 / 7:48 pm

Omg we loved sushi samba but yes the price point is something else but worth it for the whole experience!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

5. Perrine
    February 25, 2018 / 8:15 pm

I love sushi, and Japanese food in general! This looks so good! I'm actually craving sushi now hahaPerrinewww.ola-banana.com

February 26, 2018 / 7:49 pm

Sushi is a serious craving for me too but it’s just so expensive if you want the quality!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

6. Charlotte
    February 25, 2018 / 8:22 pm

Sushi is one of my favourite foods ever and this place looks amazing. If only it was closer to where I live however if I ever find myself in Sheffield one day, I’m definitely giving this place a go! Charlotte | https://fadingtulips.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

February 26, 2018 / 7:50 pm

Sheffield is definitely a place to visit and go to all the best foodie places!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

7. Little Owl Loves
    February 25, 2018 / 8:29 pm

This looks freaking amazing! �� now I'm hungry haha. Need to go as I'm a Sheffield girl and its not too far away. Looks like you had a great experience! Over from littleowlblogs.wordpress.com x

March 15, 2018 / 11:44 pm

Omg perfect! You must go if it's not far!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

8. Angela
    February 25, 2018 / 8:31 pm

I love sushi! Actually, I just love japanese food in general. This restaurant sounds exactly like my cup of tea!

February 26, 2018 / 7:50 pm

I bet! I’m sure you’d love it as much as we did!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

9. Rebecca Greenway
    February 25, 2018 / 8:34 pm

I don't like sushi, but some of thise do look very nice. I like the look of the miso soup. Becca xWww.mygirlsandmesite.com

February 26, 2018 / 7:51 pm

Are you sure? James wasn’t a fan but he hadn’t had the quality!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

10. Style by Samantha
    February 25, 2018 / 8:38 pm

This looks delicious!

February 26, 2018 / 7:51 pm

It really was!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

11. Ellie
    February 25, 2018 / 8:47 pm

That sushi looks so delicious!!

February 26, 2018 / 7:51 pm

It was so tasty!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

12. What Corinne Did
    February 25, 2018 / 8:51 pm

Oh my you have me dreaming of going to that place now! look at that food! so amazing and it looks so tasty! xx corinne

February 26, 2018 / 7:52 pm

You should definitely make a trip out there and fulfil that dream!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

13. Jay
    February 25, 2018 / 8:52 pm

This made me so hungry! Looks super delicious. I've only recently started to eat sushi and I love it!

February 26, 2018 / 7:52 pm

Yaaas! Sushi is so good!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

14. Melanie Fraser
    February 25, 2018 / 9:48 pm

Admission I have never had sushi ! This looks superb though and your photography is amazing! Thanks for sharing may have to check this place out on my next visit to Sheffield 😃Melanie | http://www.frasersfunhouse.com

February 26, 2018 / 7:54 pm

Sushi is something you’ll have to try once in your life, but make sure it’s absolutely quality!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

15. Sophie Wentworth
    February 25, 2018 / 11:33 pm

I'm not really the biggest sushi fan usually although this all looks lovely and fresh. I can't believe that incredible saving though! That comparison is a little scary x Sophie http://www.glowsteady.co.uk

February 26, 2018 / 7:55 pm

It was so good and yes the price difference is definitely scary!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

16. secondstartotheright
    February 27, 2018 / 1:57 pm

I am SALIVATING at this post! I absolutely love Sushi. But I've only ever had Sushi from Tesco Yo! Sushi. My boyfriend went to Japan a few years ago and he said the sushi was out of this world.Jennyhttp://www.jennyinneverland.com

February 27, 2018 / 4:38 pm

Omg I can't imagine how amazing and fresh the sushi in Japan must be! AHH!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️��

March 5, 2018 / 5:18 pm

I am SO glad that you guys made it to KOKO! I absolutely loved this place when I visited last year, to this day it is still the best sushi that I have ever tried and I'm sure that Chris would say the same as well! It's fantastic to hear that they offer a Taste Card discount too, the difference in value between this Sheffield venue and the London one you've mentioned above really is astounding! Isn't the decor here just the coolest as well?! I felt so chic dining in there haha!Abbey xx

March 8, 2018 / 5:13 pm

I know right, it's been so long since we've wanted to come here and ever since you went there, we just knew we had to go! The price is definitely different and oh so chic indeed! We're already planning to go back!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

18. Sam Macaree
    March 30, 2018 / 11:45 am

#FBEggHunt

March 30, 2018 / 12:11 pm

#FBEggHunt – found clue number two before clue number one! Oops! Now to search for the others… 👀