Restaurant: Chef’s Table – Music Hall Passage, Chester

Beef cheeks slow cooked in port, red wine & star anise, mushroom gratin, Borderlaise sauce,roast bone marrow, pickled red cabbage, shallot rings, smoked garlic pommes mousseline

A post Christmas treat from Jessica to my family and I lead us here, to The Chef’s Table in the centre of Chester. Not somewhere where you can just stroll in and stand the slightest chance of bagging a walk in table, this was booked many weeks ago and it’s clear to see why we needed to do this.

Tucked away in a back alley from the hustle and bustle of the sale shopping madness, the amount of tables can be counted with your fingers, all in the visibility of the small open kitchen and bar.

Jerusalem artichoke & celeriac soup, roast quince, roast chestnut, Lancashire Bomb cheese, sweet onion & sage focaccia

You may expect one of OpenTable’s 100 best UK restaurants to command high prices, but that’s not necessarily the case here. The limited Christmas lunch menu gives the option of two courses for £18, or three for £22. It’s an affordable luxury and as long as you book far enough in advance, it’s a must.

The starters of artichoke & celeriac soup and smoked haddock kedgeree were wonderfully flavoursome and exquisitely presented, and even the appetiser simply labelled ‘freshly baked bread’ couldn’t be done ordinarily. Apple and cinnamon, curried raisin and more with balsamic and oil prepared the taste buds for the main course show stoppers.

Smoked haddock kedgeree arancini, sweet curry sauce, curried swede, shiso, golden raisins, smoked almonds, confit egg yolk

All of the dish’s ingredients come locally and organically sourced, and the restaurant now has it’s own piece of the countryside where their vegetables are grown. The freshness can be instantly recognised in taste and with the amazing chefs who conjure up a mix of classic and innovative plates using them, it’s the perfect restaurant concept.

The main courses of Christmas dinner – both ham and duck had everything you could possibly want. The meat was tender, potatoes both crispy and soft and vegetables fresh and perfectly cooked. Again, healthy and well presented portions had us all full by the end and unfortunately we had to pass on dessert, but we’ll certainly be back to rectify that in the future.

Marmalade glazed xmas ham, sausage & chestnut stuffing, pigs in blankets, duck fat roast potatoes, sprout choucroute, cranberries, xmas vegetables, gravy

Both Jessica and I opted for the beef main, which turned out to be quite possibly the most amazing piece of meat I’ve ever had. The knife was made redundant as just hovering my fork over it seemed to tear it apart and get those meaty juices flowing. The mushroom gratin and roast bone marrow took it to the next level and with a side of delightful triple cooked chips, it was perfection on a plate.

Honey roast Gressingham duck breast, duck & chestnut stuffing, ducks in blankets, duck fat roast potatoes, duck gravy, sprout choucroute, bread sauce, cranberries, xmas vegetables

The Chef’s Table in undoubtedly the best we’ve seen in Chester, and up there with the best we’ve had in the UK – maybe Forage and Chatter in Edinburgh provides close competition. Both were recently voted in OpenTable’s top 100 UK restaurants, so we’ll have to start work on getting to more places on that list!

Food: ★★★

Customer service: ★★★★

Atmosphere: ★★★
Toilets: ★★

1. Leslie Pivin
    December 29, 2017 / 7:30 pm

This article help me. Thank your for sharing.

January 1, 2018 / 11:01 pm

Glad it’s helped you!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

2. Hello Bexa
    December 29, 2017 / 8:06 pm

Oh my goodness, the food looks absolutely incredible! Yum! I love duck! What a fantastic Christmas meal. I could eat it right now! Thank you for sharing <3 xxBexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

January 1, 2018 / 11:01 pm

It was a great last festival meal to end the Christmas holiday meals!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

3. Samantha Farr
    December 29, 2017 / 8:21 pm

The food looks AMAZING and I’m now super hungry haha. I especially love the look of the glazed ham. I’ll remember The Chef’s Table next time I go to Chester. Thank you so much for sharing ✨Samantha | https://believeinamiracle.co.uk

January 1, 2018 / 11:02 pm

Yes, and if you do, make sure to book in advance because it’s rare they’d have free tables walk ins!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

4. secondstartotheright
    December 29, 2017 / 8:24 pm

Wow look at those ratings! No wonder you have to book weeks in advance. This sounds like a lovely intimate place to eat; sounds pretty perfect actually! And the food looks absolutely delicious 😍Jennyhttp://www.jennyinneverland.com

January 1, 2018 / 11:03 pm

It’s such a great place to eat, can’t believe we’ve only just gone togther now! Will defo be back!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

January 1, 2018 / 11:03 pm

Honestly amazing food and atmosphere!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

5. Marikah Blank
    December 29, 2017 / 8:57 pm

Idk what happened to my comment but here we go again lol. I said that I love your food posts so much ! Everything always look so tasty ❤️ And pics capture the moment.

January 1, 2018 / 11:04 pm

Aww that’s so nice to know! It was incredible!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

6. Sophie Wentworth
    December 29, 2017 / 9:56 pm

These pictures are incredible! All of the food looks like it was beautifully presented too. Amazing prices for such a highly rated restaurant too x Sophie http://www.glowsteady.co.uk

January 1, 2018 / 11:04 pm

So beautifully presented indeed! So worth the money, but defo need to book in advance!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

December 29, 2017 / 9:58 pm

Aw this sounds like such a nice treat! Your photos are amazing and that drink looks incredible 🙌🏻Hayley xLifethroughtsg.com

January 1, 2018 / 11:05 pm

The drink was the cherry on top! Do love me a G&T!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

8. Melanie Fraser
    December 29, 2017 / 10:06 pm

Oh my goodness the food looked absolutely amazing 😃 literally drooling looking through the pictures!

January 1, 2018 / 11:05 pm

The food was absolutely incredible! No doubt about it!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

9. emily naylor
    December 30, 2017 / 10:59 am

Love this review particularly the fact you even rate the toilets! Lovely photos x

January 1, 2018 / 11:06 pm

Hahaha we do love a good toilet rating!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

10. Michael Makele
    December 30, 2017 / 1:06 pm

The glazed Christmas Ham looks delicious 👌🏾

January 1, 2018 / 11:06 pm

It really did! Wish I could have had it all!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

11. kayleigh Zara
    January 3, 2018 / 8:42 pm

The food looks amazing and isn’t too bad for the price but it is definitely a luxury! It’s a shame you had to miss out on desert though xKayleigh Zara 🌿www.kayleighzaraa.com

January 4, 2018 / 4:29 pm

I know, wish we had space for dessert but the plates were so good and big for its price! Definitely a reason to go back!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

January 8, 2018 / 2:24 pm

Really not surprised that this place gets booked up so far in advance, the food looks incredible! The artichoke and celeriac soup sounds like a winner to me – I absolutely love foccacia and have it at every opporunity (my Mum always prounounces it "fokka-see-ya" which makes me laugh out loud every time!!). Two courses for £18 really isn't too bad considering the quality and the restaurant's position in OpenTable's rankings, I'd definitely shell out for it on a special occasion! Thank you for sharing your delectable pictures!Abbey xx

January 18, 2018 / 5:55 pm

Hahah your mum is so funny! It really is affordable considering their rankings! Really hope you get to go one day!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕

13. Pinkiebag Pinkiebag
    January 19, 2018 / 8:03 pm

Oh my goodness the food looks amazing. I would opt fot the ham. I’m not surprised that there was no room for dessert.

January 20, 2018 / 1:21 pm

It was so filling but we'll defo go back for a dessert!Thank you for reading and commenting☺️💕