Christmas: Homemade Chocolate Christmas Loaf Cake

Cuts: 8-10 | Prep Time: 25 mins | Cook Time: 55 mins

I know what you’re thinking, either yay Christmas or it’s way to early to be thinking of Christmas – but no matter what you say, we are proudly going to share with you a very simple Christmas not Christmas pudding.

I don’t know about you but we personally are not the biggest fans of Christmas pudding – the raisins and mincemeat is just not what we enjoy, and I know some may agree, but why should we miss out on having a traditional dessert that looks so amazing?

So we’ve taken upon ourselves to create a very chocolatey Christmas loaf cake. How could you even say no to chocolate with chocolate chips topped with white chocolate?

Although we produced this cake as a loaf, it could easily be alternated to a typical Christmas pudding tin to make it that little bit more authentic.

What do you think? Could this be the best alternative?

Do you like Christmas Pudding?

Take a look at the recipe and instructions below, and let us know in the comments…

Ingredients:

– 175g softened butter, plus extra for greasing (£1.45)
– 175g golden caster sugar (75p)
– 3 eggs (95p)
– 140g self-raising flour (80p)
– 85g ground almonds (£1.30)
– ½ tsp baking powder (£1.45)
– 100ml milk (75p)
– 4 tbsp cocoa powder (£2.20)
– 50g plain chocolate chip or chunks (85p)

– cherries, decoration (£2)
– mint leaf, decoration (70p)
– 100g white chocolate, melted (£1.37)

Total: £14.57

Instructions:

1. Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Grease and line your loaf tin with a long strip of baking parchment or grease with butter. To make the loaf cake batter, beat the butter and sugar with an electric whisk until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, flour, almonds, baking powder, milk and cocoa until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips, then scrape into the tin. Bake for 45-50 mins until golden, risen and a skewer poked in the centre comes out clean.

2. Cool in the tin, then lift out onto a wire rack over some kitchen paper. Melt the white chocolate chunks separately in pans over barely simmering water, or in bowls in the microwave, then use a spoon to carefully decorate like a Christmas pudding, adding the two cherries on top and a leaf of mint.

Disclaimer: this is a collaboration with Provident Personal Credit as part of their Craft Christmas campaign. We were gifted a gift card to produce this post, and you can take a look at their blog site by following this link

1. Pinkiebag Pinkiebag
    November 3, 2017 / 8:06 pm

Oh what a great treat for the festive period a cross between a Christmas pudding and cake and a chocolate twist. Delicious.

November 7, 2017 / 10:27 pm

Exactly! We know so many who don't like Christmas pudding, so we found a great alternative without losing the festivity!Thank you for reading and commenting☺💓

2. The Lilac Linnet
    November 3, 2017 / 8:08 pm

I don't like Christmas pudding either, everyone always acts like I'm so weird! This recipe looks AMAZING, I don't think I'll wait until Christmas to make it.

November 7, 2017 / 10:29 pm

We'd love for you to make this – glad we're not the only ones! Thank you for reading and commenting☺💓

3. hannah fowler
    November 3, 2017 / 8:45 pm

Wow this looks amazing! I'm on a diet at the moment but may have to try this over the Christmas period 😋

November 7, 2017 / 10:29 pm

No no there's no such thing as a diet during Christmas!Thank you for reading and commenting☺💓

4. PAE Reviews
    November 3, 2017 / 9:17 pm

This looks so good. I’m not really a fan of sweets but this could be something I could sink my teeth into.

November 7, 2017 / 10:30 pm

Oh really? Same here really but it can't be helped around Christmas time!Thank you for reading and commenting☺💓

November 5, 2017 / 1:39 pm

I'm not really the biggest lover of a Christmas pudding either, although it's more the booze than the raisins that put me off! Give me a mince pie topped with cream any day though! Yummm! Your cake looks absolutely delicious, the white chocolate melted over the top is a scrummy touch!Abbey 💗 http://www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

November 7, 2017 / 10:32 pm

That is probably why I don't enjoy Christmas pudding either to be fair! Mince pie on the other hand, yummm!Thank you for reading and commenting☺💓

6. girl masked
    November 7, 2017 / 9:54 am

Thanks for sharing this! The chocolate Christmas loaf cake is something that I'd defintely like. As you mentioned I'm also not a fan of Christmas pudding either so this loaf cake would be a perfect subsitute! I love the photo too!

November 7, 2017 / 10:36 pm

Yes, I'm glad you agree! We'd love to know if you make this for Christmas!Thank you for reading and commenting☺💓

7. doseofb
    November 7, 2017 / 7:04 pm

This looks so good! I don't like Christmas Pudding so always on the lookout for new recipes!

November 7, 2017 / 10:44 pm

Glad we're not the only ones! Do let us know if you make this!Thank you for reading and commenting☺💓

8. Morgs
    November 7, 2017 / 7:12 pm

I'm one of those 'YAY IT'S CHRISTMAS' people for sure! This has gotten me so excited already xMorgan x

November 7, 2017 / 10:47 pm

I wasn't too fussed until this post either to be fair!Thank you for reading and commenting☺💓

9. Mollie Westhead
    November 7, 2017 / 7:16 pm

This looks so so good! I need Christmas food now! X

November 7, 2017 / 10:47 pm

Ahh Christmas food is the bomb!Thank you for reading and commenting☺💓

10. Rachael Shortt
    November 7, 2017 / 7:17 pm

Ohh that looks and sounds really yummy and so chocolatly! I really love Christmas pudding, I'm gutted it's not dairy free, I'm really going to miss it this year!PaleGirlRambling xohttp://palegirlrambling.co.uk

November 7, 2017 / 10:47 pm

Maybe it's worth trying to make a dairy free option – is that even possible?Thank you for reading and commenting☺💓

11. Corinne & Kirsty
    November 7, 2017 / 7:20 pm

OMG look at this beauty! It looks so appetizing and yummy! I never really bake for christmas but this might just change! xx corinne

November 7, 2017 / 10:49 pm

Christmas is such a great time to bake – bake for the family!Thank you for reading and commenting☺💓

12. MonicaWong_
    November 7, 2017 / 10:27 pm

Okay food and baker team, I am DROOLING. I never liked Christmas cake as a child; growing up, I somehow came to enjoy it only with custard or a side sweet sauce. Thanks for this recipe!

November 7, 2017 / 10:52 pm

Ooo interesting! Might have to try it again with these sauces!Thank you for reading and commenting☺💓

November 12, 2017 / 1:37 pm

OH … My… God! This cake looks positively delicious! The perfect antidote for those of us who aren't keen on Christmas pudding. Also, the white chocolate topping on this looks absolutely perfect and delicious! Kate xhttp://www.findingkate.co

November 15, 2017 / 10:47 pm

I'm glad you agree, seems to be a lot of people who don't enjoy Christmas Pudding!Thank you for reading and commenting☺💓

November 15, 2017 / 10:50 pm

Thank you, it was so fun to make too!Thank you for reading and commenting☺💓

November 15, 2017 / 9:26 pm

Oooooh this looks incredible! The white chocolate on top has got me drooling 😍Love Hayley XLifethroughtsg.com

November 15, 2017 / 10:51 pm

Love us some serious white chocolate!Thank you for reading and commenting☺💓