We are back with a small Hello Fresh series (I guess) as you may know, we had purchased and tested the Hello Fresh boxes previously, and although they are great, they were a tad bit too pricey for us, but when they came back to us with their new prices, we decided to give them another shot.
As well as their new prices, they have changed their packaging for easier access and understanding, bigger and better instruction cards, so far so good.
All ingredients listed were included and instructions are their own.
This was the longest recipe out of our weekly box, but it was so worth the wait, not exactly your traditional pie but tasted just as good and those roasted carrots really complimented the dish together!
Makes: 2 | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook Time: 40 mins
– 1 red potato
– 2 chicken breasts
– 1/4 brunch tarragon
– Chicken stock
– 1/2 tsp dried thyme
– 250g carrots
– 1 garlic clove
– 1/2 leek
– 250g button mushrooms
– 1 pot creme fraiche
– Bay leaves
– 1 tsp honey
1. Reheat your oven to 200 degrees and put a Large Saucepan of water with a pinch of salt on to boil for the potatoes. Chop the red potato (no need to peel!) into 2cm chunks and add to your pan of boiling water. Simmer until soft, 15-20 mins.TIP: The potato is cooked when you can easily slip a knife through. Drain the potato and return to the pan. Mash with a pinch of salt, a grind of black pepper and a knob of butter (if you have some). Then cover and set aside.
2. While the potato cooks, peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press). Chop the chicken into 2cm pieces. Heat a splash of oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken with a pinch of salt and a grind of black pepper. Fry until nicely browned on the outside, about 10 mins. Add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute more, then pop the chicken in an ovenproof dish. Wipe the pan clean – we’ll use it again later!
3. While the chicken is cooking, remove the root and dark green top from the leek and slice into 1cm thick rounds. Pick the tarragon leaves from their stalks and roughly chop (discard the stalks). Halve the button mushrooms.
4. Put the (now empty) frying pan on a medium heat and add a splash of oil. Cook the mushrooms until browned, 4-5 mins. Add the leek. Cook until softened, another 5-6 mins. Stir in the tarragon, chicken stock pot, crème fraîche, dried thyme and bay leaf. Bring to the boil then put the mixture in your ovenproof dish with the chicken.
5. Cut the carrots in half lengthways (no need to peel). Place them on a baking tray with a drizzle of olive oil and the honey. Toss to coat evenly and season with salt and black pepper. Pop on the middle shelf of your oven. Cook for 25-30 mins.
6. Meanwhile, cover the chicken mixture with the mashed potato. Top with a drizzle of olive oil, a pinch of salt and a grind of black pepper. Pop the pie on the top shelf of your oven. Bake until golden, 20-25 mins. Serve the pie with a good helping of honey glazed carrots and ENJOY!