This is one of the most easiest dishes we’ve made, super easy to swap ingredients or even add more! Throw in some chilli, add that kick, heck even add more cheese on top.
These are seriously the messiest things we’ve eaten too, not very good for someone like James to have (he’s just naturally messy to be honest) so have some wipes on hand and enjoy!
Makes: 6 | Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook Time: 30 mins
– 1 tbsp vegetable oil
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– 2 small red peppers or yellow peppers, finely chopped (50p)
– 2 garlic cloves, crushed
– 400g minced beef (£1.69)
– 2 x 400ml cans chopped tomatoes (68p)
– 2 tbsp chipotle or smoky barbecue sauce
– 4 cheese slices (£1)
– 6 burger buns (65p)
– crispy onions, to serve
– iceberg lettuce, to serve
1. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan, then fry the onion, pepper and garlic for 8-10 mins until softened. Add the mince, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as you go, and stir until it browns all over. Tip in the tomatoes and chipotle, or barbecue sauce, and add a little seasoning. Simmer for 10-15 mins until the sauce has thickened.
2. Put the cheese slices on top of the mince and cover with a lid for 2 mins to let it melt into the sauce. Pile into the buns with the crispy onions, and lettuce on the side for scooping up the extra sauce.