UK: The Royal Yacht Britannia – Edinburgh, Scotland

Jessica’s birthday adventures continued on from the zoo, to the Royal Yacht Britannia, one of Edinburgh’s, Scotland’s and even the UK’s most visited an highly rated attractions. For 45 years it was an official royal residence for state visits, honeymoons and holidays. But after sailing for the last time in 1998, it is now a top visitor attraction, berthed at Leith Ocean Terminal, a short bus ride from Edinburgh City Centre.

To access the ship you must go through to the top floor of the Ocean Terminal shopping centre, which starts your tour through a small exhibition area, and then on to the top floor of the yacht. All began in the control room where you can sit on the captain’s seat and envision what it would be like to drive such a mammoth vessel.

The tour took us through every part of the ship, from the bedrooms, dining areas, surgeries, and outdoor recreational areas. There is also the Royal Deck Tea Room, where we were fortunate enough to have a beautiful afternoon tea. You can read fully about that over on our food blog by clicking here.

It almost felt like we were living as a royal for the afternoon, and it gave a real insight into how life is for them. We were given handheld sets to listen to at each indicated point along the tour. There was so much fascinating information to take in and remember, so we do honestly believe the best way to learn is to go and see for yourselves.

Overall the tour lasted around an hour and a half, plus extra time that we spent in the Royal Deck Tea Room, however you are free to take it at completely your own pace. To take your time and listen to the handsets is definitely the way to go in our opinion, it taught us so much and opened our imagination to how the royals must live.

Another fantastic afternoon out was had here in Edinburgh, and a visit here comes highly recommended. It’s fun, educational, and great food can be found here too!

Disclaimer: we were given complimentary entry tickets, but as always, all photos and opinions are our own.

Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | YouTube

March 13, 2017 / 4:04 pm

I must write this on every post but you guys are such goals! Your picture together is so cuuuute! James in the sailor hat really made me laugh as well! So glad that you enjoyed your trip to Edinburgh, can't wait to read more of your adventures as they unfold!Abbey 😘 http://www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

2. Kim K Photography
    March 13, 2017 / 4:09 pm

Looks like you guys had such an amazing trip! Boats are great my OH would love doing something like this haha

3. Holly
    March 13, 2017 / 4:14 pm

Wow it's amazing to see the inside of the ship! Glad you had a good day, I love Edinburgh and need to go back to explore more. Holly xwww.ldnmuse.com

4. Kirsty Hoggons
    March 13, 2017 / 4:15 pm

I'll be headed that way in a (long) while so I'll definitely be adding this to my list 🙂

5. Breanna Catharina
    March 13, 2017 / 4:23 pm

Oh my gossshhh. Two thoughts: mom is so hot, and dad in the sailor hat is too precious – made me laugh! You guys are honestly some of my favorite. This post is so interesting to me as a foreigner. The concept of royalty and a snippet into that lifestyle sounds out of this world. I'm glad you did something fun for Jessica's birthday. xxBreanna Catharinatoocuteforlife.com

6. Corinne & Kirsty
    March 13, 2017 / 4:52 pm

Edinburgh is amazing! Anything you would do there is super exciting! Looks like you had an amazing time! THe picture are fab! xx Corinne

7. kayleigh Zara
    March 13, 2017 / 4:58 pm

This is soo cute! Looks like you had an amazing day and it sounds like everything went great. Love the photos of you both you look so happy x

8. samiyah khan
    March 13, 2017 / 5:18 pm

Ahh why do you guys always do super amazing things? I loved reading this post because it felt like I experienced your fab day with you both! Super lovely and you're both goals. Cannot wait to see more crazy adventurous posts like this! xsami | possiblysami.com

9. Ashlee Mo
    March 15, 2017 / 12:22 am

Love the photos in this post. I wouldn't have thought of taking a trip here, now I definitely want to!Ashleeashleemoyo.com